Does HIPAA allow me to send PHI to patients in unencrypted emails or SMS messages?
This material is provided for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. Aptible is not a law firm. You should consult an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Aptible.
- Disclosure + Opt-In
- What if I'm a HIPAA business associate?
- App Design Considerations
- Do I need a BAA with my messaging vendor?
- What about push notifications?
- Do I need an opt-in if I'm sending emails that don't contain PHI?
- Can I send PHI in an unencrypted communication to someone other than the individual, such as a healthcare provider?
Updated over 2 years ago